Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election day.......A different kinda change

Well, today is Election Day. I know there are already a million views on this but mine is different. For most of you, this is just another day to choose between the lesser of two evils. I have to admit that I am not totally happy with either one of the to candidates winning. I do believe more along the lines of McCain on the major issues even though I don't believe he has it totally right either. Today, I am proud to say, was my first time to ever vote. I know most of you have been voting for along time and might even criticize me for voting just for the first time in this election. As the famous voice says, "And now, the rest of the story." You see, I am voting for the first time this election because this is the first election I am allowed to vote in. Not because of my age, I am 25,(26 on the 11th for my sisters if you forgot) but because of some of my past actions that made it illegal for me to vote. More on that another day. Many people take voting for granted. I actually feel like I have done something worth wild. I mean, I am not so naive that I think my one little vote can make that much difference but it makes me proud to be an American. Lots of people died and many families hurt in order that I have that right to vote like I did today. I am proud of the fact that I have made it through some tough times in my life and it just feels good to be able to do something that everyone else gets to do.. It makes me feel like I have some say so in out government and what goes on in our country. Ok, so I know I don't have a say so in what really going on in our country but at least now when I complain about what is going on, I ll actually have a right to do that!!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw, Trey! This makes me very happy and proud of you to read. Your vote does count, of course, but this occasion represents so much more in your life right now. You are turning into the man you were always meant to be and I'm excited for the good things that are going to happen for you!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a total stranger who found this link through Wondergirl's blog. I just wanted to let you know that I can't wait to read more of what you have to say. I have a friend just coming off a drug addiction and even though he is a Christian, he is having a hard time truly believing his sins are wiped away. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, nephew of mine... just awesome... God sure is good, isn't He? or as Jerry Clower said, "Ain't God Good!!!"

Anonymous said...

Son, very moving post. Through your words and thoughts about voting I can see a glimpse of the man that you are becoming. What could have been your downfall, God has used to temper and shape your life. It's evident not only in your words, but in the actions I see daily in your life. I'm so proud of you and so excited for you, for Katie, for John Austin and for all of us.

And your vote DID count. It counted to you.

ps. I almost couldn't resist posting your comments on SR.com, saying "look at my son!"

Anonymous said...

Well look who has finally come into his own. Way to go nephew! Did your heart feel bigger in your chest after casting those votes? That is a sign that you love this country and you are proud to be here and would not want to be anywhere else. That is what being a true American is all about. I look forward to reading your blog and seeing pictures of JA!!